In January 2006, the Rotary Homes of Hope Committee, working with Aleida and Gonzalo Mejia and the Arc of Hope Foundation in Ecuador, launched the Sponsor Me program. This program will allow the children of San Pablo to receive proper medical and dental care, attend school, and enjoy a healthy breakfast each morning during the school year.
The benefits a sponsored child will receive include:
- Two routine medical checkups; vaccines, bloodwork, and antiparasite medication; and any additional medical attention needed
- Two routine dental checkups, including cleaning, attending to cavities, and fluoride treatment
- Tuition for entry into school
- School supplies, including a notebook, dictionary, ruler, pencils, pens, sharpener, eraser, scissors, markers, glue, folders, loose-leaf paper, geometric rulers, and a compass (according to grade level)
- Regulation shoes for school and the material for their required uniforms
- A nutritious breakfast, including a vitamin, during the school year
- An end-of-year holiday party and a small gift
There are 85 children in the village of San Pablo, and every child needs a sponsor in order to receive the benefits of the Sponsor Me program. For only $420, a child can be taken care of for the entire year. Aleida and Gonzalo Mejia ensure that all sponsored children’s needs are addressed.
The program operates on a one-on-one basis and is monitored closely. The children and their parents are held accountable for proper use of the provided services and products. For example, the children must maintain regular classroom attendance and strong effort in their school work.
Every June, when the Homes of Hope volunteers travel from New Jersey to Ecuador, they are able to witness the children’s progress and assess how the program is working. Assessments are made on how to improve the program to ensure that the children’s needs are adequately provided for.
If you would like to make a donation to the Sponsor Me program, please visit our To Donate page. For more information on the program, please contact Karen Brotea at firstname.lastname@example.org. There are still many children available for sponsorship. Without the support of generous donors, none of this would be possible, and we thank those that have contributed.